Monday, March 8, 2010

R.I.P Mark Linkous aka Sparklehorse

It was literally up until this morning. I’m Listening to Vivadixiesubmarine, Sparklehorse’s first album. I’m listening and grieving. Sparklehorse has been one of my favorite bands for sometime now. When I heard that Mark Linkous died, I was shocked yet not surprised, given his history with depression and delicate somber nature of his music. Sparklehorse music was perhaps too idiosyncratic and surreal and sad to ever reach an a larger audience outside of the indie underground, regardless of his affiliation with larger acts such as the Flaming Lips, PJ Harvey, Tom Waits Dangermouse and Radiohead . I am grateful for the records he left behind, each brillians in it’s own way. I feel truly privileged to have seen Sparklehorse in concert, which to this day is the best live show I have ever experienced. I can only hope that his music continues to comfort people and maybe one day gain an much deserved larger audience in the future to come a la Nick Drake.




No comments: